Red Lentil and Tomato Soup Recipe
Give my warming red lentil and tomato soup a go for a healthy quick lunch. This soup is super easy to make and is perfect to batch cook and freeze for a quick lunch on those days you are short on time.
1. Finely chop the red onion and garlic.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 mins until lightly golden.
3. Add the cumin and mix thoroughly for 1 minute.
4. Add the tomatoes and cook over high heat, stirring frequently until the tomatoes turn into a bit of a mush.
5. Rinse the lentils well and add to the pan.
6. Make up the stock using 2 stock cubes and 1 litre of boiling water. Stir to combine well before adding half of the stock to the pan. Leave the lentils to cook until soft, about 15-20 mins, adding more stock if required to loosen the mixture in the pan.
7. Once the lentils are soft, add the remaining stock and transfer in batches to a jug blender to process into a smooth soup.
8. To serve, add a few twists of ground black pepper and sprinkle with parsley or coriander.