INGREDIENTS (SERVES 5-6):
- 1 large onion
- 2 peppers (red, orange or yellow)
- 1 carrot
- 3 garlic cloves
- 200g dry red lentils
- 1 tbsp mild/medium chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 450ml water
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tins kidney beans
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- Coriander to garnish
- Cauliflower rice (optional)
1. Dice the onion, roughly chop the peppers and carrot and finely chop the garlic.
2. Rinse the lentils well and add them to the slow cooker pot alongside the onion, peppers, carrot, garlic, chilli powder, cumin, smoked paprika, tomatoes and tomato puree.
3. Boil the kettle and pour 450ml of hot water into a measuring jug. Add the 2 stock cubes and mix to dissolve. Add to the slow cooker pot.
4. Add a few twists of black pepper and stir well to combine.
5. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
6. Rinse and drain the kidney beans and add to the pot, stirring to combine.
7. Ladle into bowls and top with avocado and coriander or serve on a bed of cauliflower rice.