What fires you up?
Motivation is the key to all behaviour change. Motivation depends upon how much importance you attach to the change you want to make.
Finding out what motivates and drives you is an essential step on your road to success in anything you do. The 10 point plan below will help you to understand what motivates you most, and what else you need to do to get there.
- Identify what you really want. Is there is anything preventing you from having it?
- Check your reasons for wanting this change and ensure they are positive (not negative or fear-based), personal (not someone else’s goal for you), and practical (realistic for your lifestyle).
- Make sure in your mind that what you want to change is a MUST and a WILL, not a SHOULD or a TRY. The last two just won’t work.
- Setting yourself a goal to just ‘lose weight’ is not inspirational. But feeling fit, healthy, vital, full of energy and proud of who you are physically is inspirational.
- Don’t let past failures de-motivate you. If you have not succeeded before it is simply that you have not attached enough importance to the change. Remember this, if you were told by your doctor tomorrow that if you did not change something about your health or lose weight, it would result in immediate pain or certain illness, the majority of people would make that shift instantly. So we are all capable of extraordinary shifts, providing we attach the right importance to them.
- Remember you have NOT tried everything! This time you have a new approach with a greater level of support that has been tried and tested and really works.
- Make it fun. Change is exciting! Don’t think of making these changes as a chore but as a journey of personal, physical and psychological improvement. Focus on how you will feel as you reach each goal.
- Find your motivators.
- Get organised and plan your life so you can succeed. Working with a coach can be incredibly powerful.
- Take action to create the results you want.